Re: ISSUE-160: Allowing collections in semantic relationships

Hi,

We have also encountered this problem when converting existing
astronomy vocabularies to SKOS.

We initially went with option one (converting all nodes to
skos:Concepts and declaring the broader/narrower relationships).
However, we quickly found that this was not appropriate as the nodes
that are there as labels were then available for use as concepts.

The final version of the skos vocabularies has used option two
(converting the label nodes to skos:Collections and doing more
processing to discover the appropriate broader/narrower
relationships). We have found this to be a more natural modelling of
the desired behaviour even if it was not our initial modelling option.

It would be interesting to know if the majority of people who have
encountered this have ended up using option 1 or option 2. If the
majority end up using option 2 then I would strongly argue for a "best
practice" recommendation for this as it is not the first modelling
option that comes to mind.

Regards,

Alasdair

On 4 Dec 2008, at 15:04, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think we are almost in agreement, in fact, just playing on
> details. But if such things have to make their way in the Primer I'd
> prefer to be sure of a consensus first, if this can be obtained :-)
>
> We have two possible mapping/"transformation" to SKOS
> 1. the one I would call "natural", stick to the structure presented
> in the visualization and electronic representation and documentation
> althogether. In AAT (and here I disagree with Alistair) the only
> structural link you have in an *explicit* manner is the broader/
> narrower links between monoplanes and <aeroplanes by wing number>.
> Again, I call this transformation most natural because it's really
> the closest to the structure explicitly given in the KOS. The
> alternative requires indeed more process wrt. structure, both when
> creating SKOS data from the original format, and creating a display
> from the SKOS data.
>
> 2. the one which uses skos:Collection, which I would tend to find
> also "conceptually cleaner", because it relates by semantic
> relationships only things which have the same semantic nature.
>
> I actually really don't know if one of these two solutions can be
> labelled as "best practice". They clearly focus on different points,
> and I think the choice should be the entire responsability of the
> KOS provider, being best informed about the primary application
> context of the KOS at hand, and therefore the relative usefuless of
> both options.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Antoine
>

>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> Here are some further thoughts...
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 04:10:41PM -0000, Tudhope D S (AT) wrote:
>>> Hi Al
>>>
>>> Thanks for getting back.
>>> I agree with your points below as representing best practice
>>>
>>> However we still have some concerns surrounding SKOS collections
>>> which I think is useful to discuss as longer term issues.
>>>

>>> 1. Our main concern is facilitating SKOS representations for
>>> legacy vocabularies which already have electronic representations
>>> (or possibly where 'skosification' is a significant challenge for
>>> the vocabulary provider).
>>>
>>> I am guessing that many existing electronic representations will
>>> follow your second aeroplane thesaurus example format. Examples
>>> include the various MDA and cultural heritage thesauri we have
>>> worked with (see our report on SKOS conversion http://hypermedia.research.glam.ac.uk/media/files/documents/2008-07-05/Additional-report-wp5.pdf
>>>  <http://hypermedia.research.glam.ac.uk/media/files/documents/2008-07-05/Additional-report-wp5.pdf
>>> (http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/download.html
>>>  <http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/download.html
>>> a 'record type' attribute that can be one of 4 possible values:
>>> Concept, Facet, GuideTerm, HierarchyName. Something flagged as a
> [...]

Dr Alasdair J G Gray
Research Associate
Computing Science Department
University of Glasgow