Re: SKOS Use Cases request for comments

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the answer, I think I understand the problem.

Indeed the R-ConceptualMappingLink is not clear. It just stands for a
label for the requirement ("R-" stands for requirement), not a new
precise relation. Actually the kind of relation that is targetted by
this requirement is not known precisely right now: as the text in [1]
says, we know that these are links between concepts from different
concept schemes, that they are of semantic essence (comparable to the
broader/narrower/related found in thesauri) and that a first
approximation of them can be found at [2]. And we have some examples,
found in the use cases in the motivation line (e.g. Manuscript case, [3]).

Would have it been clearer if in the requirement section all or R-XXX
were kept hidden, and only the natural headers displayed? (e.g.
"Correspondence/Mapping links between concepts from different concept
schemes" instead of "R-ConceptualMappingLinks"). In the same line, I
suppose that things like "SKOS-I-extension-6" are not clear either, even
though the @@ are expected to prevent the reader to attach too much
attention to them...

The problem is that we use these requirement "labels" in as identifiers
in our working group discussions, and it would have been nice if people
from outside had used them for feedback ("hey, your requirement
R-ConceptualMappingLinks is crap") instead of using natural sentences
that can always be twisted and misunderstood...

This is also motivated but a need for conciseness implied by the
document containing so much of hyperlinks, from the use cases themselves
to the requirements, and vice versa. We found that interesting, because
it allowed to give a direct ('browsable') link between the cases and the
requirement they motivate, which is not as easy to render if you keep
the standard linear structure of a document.

Anyway, I agree that there is room for improvement, we'll try to make
this readable (also including 'reading instructions') in a next version.

Best,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-ucr/#R-ConceptualMappingLinks
[2] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/mapping/spec/2004-11-11.html