RE: [SKOS]: [ISSUE 44] BroaderNarrowerSemantics

Hi all,

I also agree with Joe and Leonard.   In my opinion:

- BT/NT is thesauri can somehow be considered like the "is a" in an ontology
(even if this is not true all the times).
So in my opinion skos:broader and skos:narrower should be transitive.  If
this is not true in the thesaurus is may probably be that in the thesaurus
itself the relationship is wrongly assigned, (maybe was a RT instead of
BT/NT) or  it may be that the meaning of the applied BT in the thesaurus is
not "is a" but something like "has generic broader term"... But also in this
case I can see that if I say
	A "has generic broader term" B
	B "has generic broader term" C
Then I can conclude that A "has generic broader term" C... So seems to me
that BT should be transitive...
I think the same apply for NT.

For the classifications schemes, I think that in that case the BT/NT
relationships can actually be considered as "has super-category" or
"sub-category of"... And in my opinion, they should also be transitive...

In fact, if in the thesaurus we ends up with inconsistencies such as the one
between Doorbells and Mammals, in my opinion just means that somewhere in the
tree a BT/NT was not properly used... and an RT should have been somewhere
used instead...

So, the inconsistencies pointed out by Leonard, should have been fixed
because if we consider BT as transitive they appear not correct. If we
consider BT non-transitive then we can leave as they are and the samples may
be true (and not inconsistent)... But I vote for the first case.

So I would suggest that  (not ">" for me means "BT"):

	non-alcoholic cocktails > cocktails > alcoholic beverages

becomes in my opinion:

	alcoholic beverages     > beverages
	non-alcoholic beverages > beverages
	cocktails > beverages
	alcoholic cocktails     > cocktails
	non-alcoholic cocktails > cocktails
	alcoholic cocktails > alcoholic beverages
	non-alcoholic cocktails > non-alcoholic beverages
	(I used double parenting...)
	So it would ends up to be:
	non-alcoholic cocktails > cocktails > beverages
	non-alcoholic cocktails > non-alcoholic beverages > beverages

And for the other example I suppose we may find solutions... ?

Hope this helps
Margherita