Wiki citations

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 03:34:53PM +0100, Antoine Isaac wrote:
> >The editors have yet to establish a documentation workflow, but this
> >being a wiki, I'd like to suggest that anyone (not just the editors)
> >who would like to tweak this further before it's accepted should feel
> >free to edit this page directly.
>
> Here I would object, at least regarding important modifications.
> Not that I'm afraid of having my stuff removed without my approval (I
> save the wiki pages on my hd, so I can re-post them whenever I like ;-)

No need to fall back on your own copies -- the wiki also keeps track of
recent versions :-)  On any page, click on the "Info" button to see
versioning information, e.g.:

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/UCFormat?action=info [*]

> but rather because I want to be sure that every significant
> comment/modification there will be motivated by some mail on the list
> (or just to us), which might not be the case if we let anyone tweaking
> the wiki and then say "look, here are my changes".

I agree that the etiquette should be: no "significant" ("substantial")
changes without a note to the editors or to the list.  However it is easy
to view the differences between any two versions on the "Info" page -- e.g.,
the differences between Antoine's last edit and Jon's first:

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/UCFormat?action=diff&rev2=3&rev1=2 [*]

Note, too, that differences are _citable_, so could be referenced in
postings to the list.

Everyone, I would be interested to know whether any of your mail clients are damaging
the URLs above [*] to make them unclickable.

>                                                    For example, it might
> have been wiser for me also to send the snapshot to the WG mailing list,
> which I'll do right now.

I would suggest including the text of important passages in WG mailing
list postings so that people can quote it in replies.

Let's discuss in the call...

Tom

--
Tom Baker - tbaker@tbaker.de - baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de