Re: RDFa and its relationship to XHTML

On 08/06/2006 17:58, Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Unfortunately, this page also uses @rel in a slightly 'awkward' way. Each
> news item is marked up as follows:
>
>   <a
>    rel="details"
>    title="Experts Share Perspectives on Web Standards at
>      Fundamentos Web 2006"
>    href="/News/2006#item101"
>    shape="rect"
>   >News archive</a>
>
> @rel is being used here to indicate to a GRDDL transform that the value in
> the @href attribute is the URI of an rss:item, i.e., the *subject* of a
> statement. This technique of ignoring existing semantics provided by the
> document in favour of some specific, context-based interpretation, is not
> dissimilar to the approach taken by microformats.

In this case I'd argue that those are the correct semantics. The href is
the subject of metadata specified by the title attribute and its
associates such as hreflang. Those are the semantics the document author
intended because they are embodied in html itself.

--
http://purl.org/NET/iand
Blogging at... http://iandavis.com/blog