Re: The semantics of rdfs:label

Sorry to butt into a working group discussion but I'd like to question this.

Any candidate common superproperty of *all* name properties will have to
apply to both instance data and concepts (classes and properties) and so
cannot avoid taking you into OWL/full. In which case I see no justification
for not using rdfs:label for that.

A base naming property which only applies to individuals and so can be
subPropertied within OWL/DL might be useful but it should itself be a
subproperty of rdfs:label (even if that fact was kept hidden from DL
processors).

I would have thought that rdfs:label was a perfectly reasonable way to
represent topic map untyped names, though my knowledge of topic maps is
weak enough I might be missing something.

We spend a lot of time advising people to use names instead of relying on
the localname part of URIs. The fact that in RDF there is a single, clear,
standard, built-in, widely-supported, naming property rdfs:label for naming
everything makes this much easier. Please could SWBP be very careful not to
accidently create any confusion about the default naming property to use.

Dave