Re: [OEP] minutes of 5/26 telecon - Naming the 3rd Use Case

Mike,

On May 26, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Uschold, Michael F wrote:

> In trying to think of a better name for Use Case 3, I tried to
> identify
> the essential similarities and differences between the three use
> cases,
> and then to think of names that consistently and accurately refer
> to the
> core aspect(s) that distinguish each case.
>
> First a question to the authors: For pattern 1, use case 1, do you
> really mean to only have 1 additional attribute, or could there be
> several? e.g. you might include the person making the diagnosis. The
> latter seems more likely.

It is certainly the latter. There is a parenthetical note to that
effect in a paragraph after the first figure in the section called
"Representation patterns".

> I propose the following as a structure for presenting the use
> cases, the
> goal is to make clear the essential similarities and differences among
> the approaches.
> The three different use cases should focus on two main things that
> differentiate them
> 1.    when they arise
> 2.    what you actually do to represent them in OWL - the details
> focusing on variations of the common core.

Hmm... It seems to me that the information is already there. How
these arise is in the preamble and in each use case we describe the
details of how you represent it. Is there additional information you
are suggesting to add?

> NB: this is very similar (identical?) to the first one. Basically, I
> only replaced the word 'attribute' with 'aspect'. These words are
> mighty
> similar in meaning.  I don't get the essential difference between
> "additional attributes describing a relation" and "different
> aspects of
> the same relation". Can you explain it?
> I guess this means I disagree with or don't understand the claim that:
> "In most intended interpretations, this instance of a relation
> cannot be
> viewed as an instance of a binary relation with additional attributes
> attached to it."
>
> There might really be a good clean distinction between these two use
> cases, but to me it is fairly slippery, and I still don't quite see
> it.
> If it is this slippery for me, then it might be difficult for less
> knowledgeable readers?

Yes, the sentence you quoted describes the difference. The two use
cases are close, but in one case, you really have a binary relation
with additional information about it. In the second, you cannot
actually say which one of the two values is "more important" -- you
can think of this as a "multi-valued" value.

> So, what to name the last use case?
>
> The only thing that distinguishes this from the first two is that
> there
> is no distinguishing participant in the n-ary relation. That's it. So,
> somehow the name should indicate that. Ideally, the names of the other
> two should also reflect that issue, but that would result in awkward
> names.
>
> My suggestion for the last one:
> "Multiple aspects of a single event or situation, with no
> distinguished
> participant."

This is fine, except I would replace "event or situation" with
"relation" or something else that is sufficiently general -- the
between example to me is neither an event or a situation (at least
for people with little background in KR).

Natasha