RE: [SKOS, SPARQL, ALL] Closure and SPARQL

Actually, I brought this up because I thought that the D-Entailment mentioned in the SPARQL specs only covered Literals and was introduced after the whole XMLLiteral type-checking discussion, hence did not cover the subPropertyOf and subClassOf.
I thought I had misread the specs after hearing that it was covered, but it seems like it isn't after all.

Anyway, as RDFS entailment takes the domain-range into account, that's not what I intended.
Perhaps looking at the structure as a graph is indeed a key thing here: as long as you can walk a path (like the subClassOf), you can reach a node. You don't "add" anything to the graph, because the information can be reached by following the path.

In short: there is a hierarchy that should be taken into account in the queries. If not, even with normal relational databases the need for hierarchical queries popped up, and since no standard was in place to express this, each implementation has its own syntax. I'm more than convinced that the need to express this in SPARQL will arise (because of subPropertyOf and subClassOf).

And this is not supported by the query language, but left to the graph, and that is my main concern.
In other words, not supported by a query language that is developed to query something with a hierarchy.
It's saying: "leave it to the database, there is no need for hierarchical queries. If they need the hierarchy, they should query a different database". And that didn't work out for normal relational databases.

RDFS entailment would "add" edges to the graph, this doesn't. It only uses the hierarchy. The hierarchy is there "by nature", why not use it?

Christoffel

This email and its attachment(s) is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed, and not intended to be further distributed without explicit prior approval of the sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Language & Computing, Inc. unless explicitly indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.