Fw: Semantic Web and Software Engineering Task Force $swbp

Not sure I this went out to the wider working group...

Regards

Phil Tetlow
Senior Consultant
IBM Business Consulting Services
Mobile. (+44) 7740 923328
----- Forwarded by Phil Tetlow/UK/IBM on 12/11/2004 15:46 -----

             Phil
             Tetlow/UK/IBM
             12/11/2004 09:01          benoit.doumas@free.fr
                                                                        cc
                                       "Jeff Z. Pan" <pan@cs.man.ac.uk>,
                                       "Uschold, Michael F"
                                       <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>,
                                       public-swbp-wg@w3.org, "Butler,
                                       Keith A"
                                       <keith.a.butler@pss.boeing.com>,
                                       Grady Booch/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       Maurice Perks/UK/IBM@IBMGB
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Semantic Web and Software
                                       Engineering Task Force  $swbp
                                       (Document link: Phil Tetlow)

Ben,

Jeff and I are awaiting guidance on the establishment of a SE task force
under the Semantic Web Best Practices Group. As such I dont think there are
any specific mailing lists, etc just yet, but watch this space.

You will be aware that there are already efforts to align Semantic Web
technologies with the UML and appropriate tooling, but I'm personally not
aware of any effort yet to broaden the discussion out to debate the wider
implications for MDA in general. Nevertheless, MDA was one of the agenda
items I was planning for the SE task force. You might find it interesting
to note, however, that Grady Booch has already confirmed that he would be
personally interested in contributing to any W3C activity on SE and the
Semantic Web.

I must say that I am encouraged by the response we are getting on the
potential of such a task force.

If you would like some further thoughts on the crossover between SE and SW,
perhaps you might like to take a look at,
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/autonomic/library/ac-summary/ac-semantic.html
. Alternatively, go to www.ibm.com and search for 'semantic web'. I think
this paper still comes out top of the list...

Regards

Phil Tetlow
Senior Consultant
IBM Business Consulting Services
Mobile. (+44) 7740 923328

             benoit.doumas@fre
             e.fr
             public-swbp-wg-re         "Jeff Z. Pan" <pan@cs.man.ac.uk>
             quest@w3.org                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             12/11/2004 08:04          Re: Semantic Web and Software
                                       Engineering Task Force  $swbp

Thanks for the paper;

Does anyone know if there is a mailing list on these specific topics? Or a
mailing list about MDA ?

Thanks a lot

Ben

http://smi-web.stanford.edu/people/holger/publications/MDSW2004.pdf

> Ontology-Driven Software Development
> in the Context of the Semantic Web:
> An Example Scenario with Prot´eg´e/OWL
> Holger Knublauch
> Stanford Medical Informatics, Stanford University, CA
> holger@smi.stanford.edu
> Abstract
> Recent efforts towards the Semantic Web vision have lead to a number of
> standards
> such as OWL and Web Service languages. While these standards provide a
> technical
> infrastructure, software developers have little guidance on how to build
> real-world
> Semantic Web applications. Based on a realistic application scenario, we
> present some
> initial thoughts on a software architecture and a development methodology
> forWeb
> services and agents for the SemanticWeb. This architecture is driven by
> formal domain
> models (ontologies). The methodology applies best practices from agile
> development
> methodologies, including systematic tests, short feedback loops, and
close
> involvement of domain experts. We illustrate how these techniques can be
put
> into
> practice using the modern Semantic Web development tool Prot´eg´e, and
> indicate
> future possibilities.
>
> ==
>
> There is a whole community called "Automated Software Engineering" which
is
> relevant.
> ALso, the OMG Model-Driven Architecture is quite relevant. The latter is
> discussed in
> the above paper.
>
> Good search terms include "ontology-driven" and one or more of:
> "information systems"
> "software engineering"
> "software development"   etc.
>
> Mike

cc
>                                        "Jeff Pan" <pan@cs.man.ac.uk>
>                                        <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Subject
>                                        Fw: Semantic Web and Software
>                                        Engineering Task Force
>

> Guus, David
>
> Just a quick note to state that I second Jeff's motion to establish a
Task
> Force on "The Semantic Web and Software Engineering". Please see my
> additional comments below.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil Tetlow
> Senior Consultant
> IBM Business Consulting Services
> Mobile. (+44) 7740 923328
> ----- Forwarded by Phil Tetlow/UK/IBM on 08/11/2004 14:17 -----
>
>              "Jeff Pan"
>              <pan@cs.man.ac.uk
>              >
>              Sent by:                  "Guus Schreiber"
>              public-swbp-wg-re         <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>, "David Wood"
>              quest@w3.org              <dwood@tucanatech.com>

cc