RE: [WNET] Plan for the next telecon WNET discussion

At 14:58 +0100 13-05-2004, McBride, Brian wrote:

> [...]

OK thanks, doing exact references for everything is always a good practice :)

>  >
>>  (a) description of the actions for short/medium term to be
>>  followed by WNET-TF
>>	(a1) port of Princeton WordNet as an RDF data structure with
>>  an explicit OWL datamodel
>>	(a2) set of recommendations and/or patterns w/alternatives to
>>  reengineer wordnets as OWL ontologies
>
>Hmm, I'd rather separate these out, i.e.
>
>Issue: Encoding WordNet 1.6 in RDF/Owl
>   - Can we have some help from Christiane.  Active involvement would be
>good.  Willingness to review important.

Yes

>   - namespace to use

Yes

>   - Technical issues to discuss e.g. are synsets classes and if so what are
>their instances.

As an anticipation of the report, and to answer
some of the issue you have raised sometimes ago,
look at:
http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/index.shtml,
you'll find in the first paragraph:

WordNet® is an online lexical reference system
whose design is inspired by current
psycholinguistic theories of human lexical
memory. English nouns, verbs, adjectives and
adverbs are organized into synonym sets, each
representing one underlying lexical concept.
Different relations link the synonym sets.

You are served: synsets are *sets* of *synonym
lexical entries*. Synsets *represent* *one*
underlying lexical *concept*.

Hence:

1) from the terminological viewpoint, a synset
can be represented as an owl:Class whose
instances are lexical entries (words, terms)

2) from the conceptual viewpoint, a synset can be
represented as an owl:Class whose instances are
concept's instances (where the concepts are only
those accepted in the lexicon at hand).

3) A concept instance is *usually* interpreted as
an entity in the domain of reference of an
ontology, which is identified by the properties
of the concept. Of course, there are even
alternative semantic interpretations for concept
instances, but the one mostly accepted in
ontology engineering is the one I have mentioned.

4) Although not considered by WordNet, we can
also conceive of representing synsets as
owl:Individual, treating WordNet as a legacy
database.

Besides my Lab's site, you can look at a lot of
other work on these issues, for example:

http://www.bultreebank.org/OntoLex02Proceedings.html
http://conferences.atala.org/conferences/fiches/lrec2004.html
http://www.lrec-conf.org/lrec2004/doc/ws/prg_ontolex.pdf

>   - Structuring the data - view files or knowledge server (not sure I
>understand that one - are we thinking they might ship knowledge server code
>as part of the distribution?)

No, Philippe was suggesting that owl-encoded
wordnets should work on the Semantic Web through
dedicated knowledge servers rather than as
scattered views of monolithic files.

>   - Subject to Christiane being satisfied with the results, would he be
>willing ot include in the standard Wnet distribution.

Perfect. BTW ... she be willing ...

>Other than mentioning as possible future work, I suggest we don't plan to
>spend any time discussing re-engineering Wordnet or wordnets as ontologies.

Your suggestion clashes against the willing of
many actors in the scene, besides the intended
scope of Princeton WordNet. In this committee
there are obviously persons not interested in
that kind of work, but I understand they are not
the totality, for example:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004Apr/0211.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004May/0023.html.

Moreover, I do not see why a meaningful area of
investigation, supported by many individuals and
groups in the Semantic Web and elsewhere, should
not be addressed by this task force. As a good
matter of form, look at the discussions in the
[OEP] task force: none has ever tried to mute or
to suggest to ignore a position just because she
is not available to discuss it.

>I think it would be great to have a strawman distributed before to discuss
>at the telecon.  This might be based on Guus' proposal.

It is part of the report due before the telecon.

>I'll be interested to see whether Owl is required for this.  As usual I'm
>inclined to prefer to have a non-Owl version available.

OWL should be used for the datamodel in the
Stoffel/Guus proposal. Probably the expressivity
required can be available in RDFS as well.

>  >
>>  (b) availability of Princeton to include an OWL-RDF (datamodel+data)
>>  version (as at (a1)) in the official distribution
>>
>>  (c) availability of Princeton (and/or other initiatives in which
>>  Christiane is involved) to include (possibly by participating in the
>>  development of) our recommendations and patterns at (a2)) in some
>>  official set of guidelines or joint programme
>>
>>  If I receive no further suggestion,
>
>Sorry, but you've got another suggestion.  I feat the task force leader's
>enthusiams and mine lie in different places.

Of course, this is a natural outcome of group
working ;). I won't force you to discuss *all*
the issues, you won't force me to shut up. No
fear, no problem.

>I'll consider these issues as a
>>  reference to produce a report on WNET activity some days before the
>>  telecon, so that we will not need much time to clarify the respective
>>  backgrounds.
>
>Showing willing by having a first cut would seem like a good thing.
>
>Naively
>Brian

OK
Ciao
Aldo
--

*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*;*
Aldo Gangemi
Research Scientist
Laboratory for Applied Ontology, ISTC-CNR
Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technologies
(Laboratorio di Ontologia Applicata,
Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione,
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche)
Viale Marx 15, 00137
Roma Italy
+3906.86090249