Re: [VM,ALL] Revised scope statement

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 06:05:18PM +0200, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> > 1. Seems to me there is a great deal of overlap with PORT, alias THES, TF. In fact, I
> > understand VM work to be in many respects an extension or generalization of THES work,
> > since a Thesaurus is a specific organization of a Vocabulary for a specific application
> > (unless I miss something). How will the two TF define their specific scope?
>
> According to http://www.w3.org/2004/03/thes-tf/mission, the
> THES/PORT Task Force wants to focus on guidelines and tools
> for representing structured vocabularies using RDF/OWL.
>
> To my way of thinking, the Vocabulary Management TF would,
> in contrast, focus on the identification of terms (and of
> versions of terms and sets of terms) and on policies and
> practices related to the identification of terms.

To be clear, I see the THES/PORT and VM Task Forces as
complementary but not actually overlapping.  The THES/PORT note
would focus on RDF/OWL guidelines and tools, while RDF/OWL
details would be out of scope for the VM note per se; the
VM note would merely point readers to relevant resources,
such as the THES/PORT note, along with any other helpful
resources we can think of.

BTW, aside from http://www.w3.org/2004/06/10-swbp-irc (circa
14:46-14:47), I am not aware of any written confirmations for
the telecon.  I believe it is supposed to be for 1400 UTC,
which is 1600 Amsterdam, for circa 45 minutes.  Can someone
confirm?

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                        Thomas.Baker@izb.fraunhofer.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129