Re: Lists of Values

Alan Rector wrote:

> All
>
> While at Stanford, Natasha and I also discussed the issues of representing
 > lists of values, either as partitioning classes or as all different
 > individuals.
>
> I have now put a short paper at
 > http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rector/swbp/lists_of_values_v0_1.html
 > and a pdf version at
 > http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rector/swbp/lists_of_values_v0_1.pdf .
>
> (There are some odd glitches in the styles, and the html doesn't always
> print out correctly although it comes out fine on the screen,
 > at least on my machine.)

Just got around to reading this. Well put. I agree that approach 1 is
counterintuitive for many, but works often best in semantic-web practice
(also without the OWL DL / reasoner arguments).

Actually, we do exactly the same in our solution to the "classes as
values" issue, see my initial response to Bernard:

  Excerpt from:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004JanMar/0152.html
[[
Assume we have a painting for which
we want to define the style/period value of "Cubism". Cubism is a class
in one of the subtrees, so it would not be a legal value. Instead, we
store an anonymous instance of "cubism". In fact, there is something to
be said for this solution: the style of a painting is not cubism but
some expression of cubism. Likewise, a painting is not "blue" but some
expression of blue.
]]

We also use it, like Alan, to handle partitions of the value space, e.g.
analytic and synthetic cubism.

I have a naming suggestion. "Tall" in approach 1 is in fact
fundamentally different from "Tall" in approach 2. It may be better to
talk about "Tall value" in approach 1. This makes also clear why there
is a subclass relation between "height value" and "tall value" and not
an instance relation.

Guus

> Natasha and I had some discussion of titles and what to call things.
 > I settled for the paper on "lists of values" as neutral with
 > "value partitions" for the version using classes and "value sets"
 > or the version using individuals.  Further suggestions welcome if
 > we can make clear what the purpose is.
>

> --
> Alan L Rector
> Professor of Medical Informatics