Re: World Health Organisation International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) Ontology?

Phil

I think I can say definitively that there is not an RDF/OWL version publicly
available.

Also before working on a public version, one needs to sort the copyright issues
with WHO who have not in the past encouraged such ventures, but whose attitudes
are changing.

There are also a host of issues around representing the idiosyncrasies of ICD in
any formal way - its dagger/asterisk notation, exclusions, inclusions, residual
categories ('not otherwise specified', 'not elsewhere classified', etc.).  On
top of that there is a whole second volume of rules concerning details of how
things are to be classified when several conditions are present, and a long
'index' which in effect provides an extension to the meaning of the
classifications.

We have always mapped to the required subset rather than attempting to represent
it directly in a a logic based formalism.  There should be material on the
openGalen website on this.  If it is not obvious, Jeremy Rogers and/or Pieter
Zanstra (see cc above) can point you to the relevant papers and resources.

Regards

Alan

--
Alan L Rector