Re: [OEP] n-ary relations and topic maps

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ontopia.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:35:07 +0100
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org

* Lars Marius Garshol

| This means that the RDFTM task force will need to consider:
|
|   a) how to convert binary and n-ary relations from RDF to topic
|      maps,

* Natasha Noy

| [...] I would like to point it out that the next version of the note
| will contain an appendix written by Bernard Vatant on expressing
| n-ary relations in Topic Maps:
| http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004Jul/0057.html
|
| This will probably address the first issue in your message.

I haven't seen what Bernard's done yet, so this isn't a reflection on
his work, but I don't really see how an appendix on that subject can
solve my issue a) above. The reason is that expressing n-ary relations
in topic maps is not the problem (there are issues, of course, and I
expect these are what Bernard wrote about). The real problem, I think,
is recognizing when you see an n-ary relation in RDF, so that you know
you should convert it into a single topic map association, as opposed
to n topic map associations.

| Any feedback on that will of course be appreciated (I don't think
| there was any feedback when Bernard posted the message).

I've had a brief look now, and will come back with more detailed
feedback later. As far as I can tell, Bernard hasn't attempted to deal
with the RDF half of the issue (and quite reasonably so, since he
probably considered it out of scope).