RE: Comment on "Meaning and the Semantic Web"

You say there are still these hopefully rare cases where opt-out
of information provided by the coiner of a term is needed.

But consider the following scenario:

Suppose a good civil libertarian decides to set up a semantically
enabled web site advising voters how to vote. He implements an
agent which scans the RDF/OWL of congressmen and women looking for
those who use 'softening-up' to mean 'righteous cruelty when
carried out in the name of the war on terrorism', or other
offensive definitions of certain controversial terms. When this
agent finds such a use, it generates an RDF/OWL document that cites
this use, states its oposition to the term, and then recommends to
the constituents of the site that they vote against that politician.
These RDF/OWL documents are then converted to HTML and used by
citizens on their way to the polls.

This example has all the ingredients of such a case. The term in
question is one of those disputed terms rather than a question of
fact based on a shared vocabulary. It is highly politicized with
angry participants on all sides of the debate. The purpose and
design of the agent in question is to register dissent with the
term and with the policies that would result from its use.

And yet, I assert, such an agent could not function if it opted-out
of the politicians offensive definitions of those controversial
terms. In fact, the more information provided by the coiner of
the term this agent can access and rely on for its determination
of its dissent, the more valid and useful it will be.

John