RE: Comment on "Meaning and the Semantic Web"

Yes.  I agree that something like this could take care of the
inadvertent misuse of an updated schema document.

But my real point is the symmetry between correct publishing behavior
and correct interpreting behavior.

So lets change the scene a little:
Lets say that as I begin my debugging, I discover that Dan, true to
his word, has not changed the FOAF schema.  So I start investigating
my search agent.  It turns out that the company has hired Bijan and
Peter and they have altered the search engine as follows: They have
noticed that there are some ontologies which are offensive, homophobic,
racist, fascist, and so on.  They want to register their dissent
with the worldviews presented by these web sites.  Furthermore,
knowing that you can't expect the semantic web to educate fools,
they take it upon themselves to add in their opposing views to
each search result they return.  When confronted, they argue, in
their defense, that there should be no restrictions on their
interpretation of content, that they should not be required to
believe such offense speech, that they have a right to disagree
with such views, that it must remain easy for them to do so, and
so on, else the world will sink into totalitarianism. For my part,
lets say I work for a watch-dog organization and am researching
the causes of hate crimes.  I need to know what these sites are
publishing in order to help combat it.  I need accurate reports of
precisely these offensive ideas delivered with as great a fidelity
to their intended, offensive meaning as possible.

The point is that there are use cases where it would be critical
that an interpreting agent be required to discover and report
the actual meaning of a set of published documents.  And this
might be aided by giving URI authors facilities to specify what
that meaning is.

John