Re: Proposed issue: What does using an URI require of me and my software?

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 07:13, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: Proposed issue: What does using an URI require of me and my software?
> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:41:24 -0500
>
> [...]
>
> > > 6/ I believe that one of the issues that needs to be resolved is what
> > >    information is implicit in the use of a URI reference with optional
> > >    fragment identifier, particularly in the case where removing the
> > >    fragment identifier results in the URI that can be used to retrieve an
> > >    RDF (or OWL) document.
> >
> > Hmm... I don't see how that's any smaller than the
> > whole rdfURIMeaning-39 issue.
>
> I see that there is a broad reading of this, but I meant a much more narrow
> meaning along the following lines:
>
> 	If the notions of how information is recorded and gathered and how
> 	the meaning/denotation/... of a URI reference is determined in a
> 	particular context are given then how does one determine the
> 	context in which to determine the meaning/denotation/... of a URI
> 	reference.
>
> I think that this is actually quite a bit smaller than rdfURIMeaning-39, as
> it excludes issues of differing languages, inaccessible information, etc.
>
> My solution, of course, is that under a representation regime context is
> determined from an initial set of information solely by the explicit
> importing constructs of that representation regime that import
> web-accessible documents that are compatible with the representation
> regime.

After reading that several times, I can now parse it as English
(a comma ala "under a representation regime, context..." is sorta
implicit, yes?). But I'm still having a lot of trouble understanding.
How about a few examples? What's a representation regime?

I'm not sure what "excludes issues of differing languages" means,
but if it means disregarding things like WSDL and XML Schema,
I doubt that solution is very interesting to the TAG.