Re: The RDF Approach to Indicating Language-In-Use

At 10:15 06/11/03 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>In passing, I would like to avoid this terminology where we talk about
>*kinds* of meanings, if we can possibly manage to do so. It suggests a
>kind of botanical classification of meaning-species, and this tends to
>encourage a kind of Balkanization which we already have a tendency to fall
>into, where each of us with various agendas feels compelled to protect the
>rights of one kind of meaning over the other upstarts. Maybe this is
>unavoidable, but we should try to avoid it as far as possible. I am
>convinced that these different 'kinds' of meaning are all aspects of one
>notion, and that we should be able to find a way to make that clear. Blind
>men and the elephant, you know the story.

Hmmm... I feel there is a qualitative distinction between that which can be
deduced by formal means, and statements that are consensually acknowledged
as truths by a community of people.  I'm entirely content that these should
not be seen as "different kinds of meaning", but I think we need some way
to talk about the distinctions and boundaries and interactions between them.

If we can somehow glimpse the whole elephant, I think that would help.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact