From: "list.adam@twardoch.com" <list.adam@twardoch.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 2:03 PM
To: Vladimir Levantovsky <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com>
Cc: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, "public-svgopentype@w3.org" <public-svgopentype@w3.org>
Subject: Re: animation in SVG-in-OT glyphs

I wouldn't drop or discount the notion of animation quite yet.

OpenType in the last few years has seen two major extensions: color and variability. I think if variable fonts hadn't appeared, implementers would have devoted more manpower to fuller color support. But in the last two years, they put a lot of effort to support variation.

The dynamic behind variable fonts effectively gave us a third animation technique — there had been discussions about the "time axis", and we've seen animations made using variable fonts, both mono and color (made via COLR and via layering):

- https://codepen.io/lorp/details/PRdNYq<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcodepen.io%2Florp%2Fdetails%2FPRdNYq&data=02%7C01%7Csppatel%40adobe.com%7Cc9d8e445b9314d5c826f08d623f37c6b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636735926004338038&sdata=i7GkES4KkbRGBTHd2U%2FQl8acfWwHkfTZ9%2B6vwuoxRzo%3D&reserved=0>
- https://codepen.io/lorp/details/RMmRgB<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcodepen.io%2Florp%2Fdetails%2FRMmRgB&data=02%7C01%7Csppatel%40adobe.com%7Cc9d8e445b9314d5c826f08d623f37c6b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636735926004338038&sdata=wiRUjoj0Ae2iegGsD71C%2BseO%2FyyxpsmnYNxBv0vERwY%3D&reserved=0>
- http://tosche.net/AnimatedPixelatedVF/<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftosche.net%2FAnimatedPixelatedVF%2F&data=02%7C01%7Csppatel%40adobe.com%7Cc9d8e445b9314d5c826f08d623f37c6b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636735926004348043&sdata=oKWAphIpbtlHnjp%2BGvLD8DPV0smxqd5V6CHDd2h%2Bv4Y%3D&reserved=0>

So we have SVG+SMIL, SVG+CSS, and variable+JS. That's a lot of paths to go. With so many options on the table, it's no surprise that type designers, font engineers, font tool makers and browser/OS/app makers haven’t give us “Everything” quite yet.

But we’re just 5 years since the first color formats appeared and two years since variable fonts emerged. OpenType Layout has debuted in 1996/1999 and it took a long time to get a reasonable deployment. Let’s wait and see where the community consensus leads us!

Best,
Adam