Media Queries in SVG-in-OT

One our of engineers posted something interesting to an internal list about how they are exploring using media queries in a glyph description in an SVG-in-OT font.   That got me to thinking.

Do we believe that MQ’s should be allowed as part of a glyph description??   And if so, is inside the SVG the right place to put it?

On one hand, I can see the potential benefits in that it would enable a form of “hinting”, ensuring that they can be tailored to specific environments.  But it would also concern me that you could get different looking glyphs on different devices (though that can already happen with SVG-in-OT fonts between, for example, screen and print).

But if we want to allow MQ’s - is inside the SVG really the best place?  Because once we’re down in the SVG, it means that there would be no way (at that I can see) where the MQ could point “out” to the standard glyph description.  And that might be what you want in certain cases, which is the original description as it’s already well hinted for a particular device.

Thoughts??

Leonard