Re: Unified draft of SVG-in-OT

We are talking about the glyph bounding box, which defines the height, width etc. for the glyph – which is most certainly used by any layout engine to know where to place the next glyph in a text run, as well as related glyphs.

Leonard

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org<mailto:robert@ocallahan.org>>
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:38 PM
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>>
Cc: Nikos Andronikos <nikos.andronikos@cisra.canon.com.au<mailto:nikos.andronikos@cisra.canon.com.au>>, "public-svgopentype@w3.org<mailto:public-svgopentype@w3.org>" <public-svgopentype@w3.org<mailto:public-svgopentype@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Unified draft of SVG-in-OT

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:
It is extremely important that the bounding box for the normal glyph be 100% identical to that of the SVG variant, and that all drawing is clipped to that box – just as it is with normal rendering.

If you were to allow the SVG variant of the glyph to be sized differently – it would be IMPOSSIBLE to maintain a consistent layout of content between systems that differed in which of the variants was selected.   And I am pretty sure none of us want that.

We're talking about ink bounding box, right?

Ink bounding boxes generally don't affect layout. At least not in Web browsers.

Rob
--
Jtehsauts  tshaei dS,o n" Wohfy  Mdaon  yhoaus  eanuttehrotraiitny  eovni le atrhtohu gthot sf oirng iyvoeu rs ihnesa.r"t sS?o  Whhei csha iids  teoa stiheer :p atroa lsyazye,d  'mYaonu,r  "sGients  uapr,e  tfaokreg iyvoeunr, 'm aotr  atnod  sgaoy ,h o'mGee.t"  uTph eann dt hwea lmka'n?  gBoutt  uIp  waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w