Re: Unified draft of SVG-in-OT

We are talking about the glyph bounding box, which defines the height, width etc. for the glyph  which is most certainly used by any layout engine to know where to place the next glyph in a text run, as well as related glyphs.

Leonard

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org<mailto:robert@ocallahan.org>>
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:38 PM
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>>
Cc: Nikos Andronikos <nikos.andronikos@cisra.canon.com.au<mailto:nikos.andronikos@cisra.canon.com.au>>, "public-svgopentype@w3.org<mailto:public-svgopentype@w3.org>" <public-svgopentype@w3.org<mailto:public-svgopentype@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Unified draft of SVG-in-OT

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:
It is extremely important that the bounding box for the normal glyph be 100% identical to that of the SVG variant, and that all drawing is clipped to that box  just as it is with normal rendering.

If you were to allow the SVG variant of the glyph to be sized differently  it would be IMPOSSIBLE to maintain a consistent layout of content between systems that differed in which of the variants was selected.   And I am pretty sure none of us want that.

We're talking about ink bounding box, right?

Ink bounding boxes generally don't affect layout. At least not in Web browsers.

Rob
--
Jtehsauts  tshaei dS,o n" Wohfy  Mdaon  yhoaus  eanuttehrotraiitny  eovni le atrhtohu gthot sf oirng iyvoeu rs ihnesa.r"t sS?o  Whhei csha iids  teoa stiheer :p atroa lsyazye,d  'mYaonu,r  "sGients  uapr,e  tfaokreg iyvoeunr, 'm aotr  atnod  sgaoy ,h o'mGee.t"  uTph eann dt hwea lmka'n?  gBoutt  uIp  waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w