Re: Two flavors of glyphs: color-specifying and color-inheriting

On Feb 22, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Sairus Patel wrote:

> (Spun off from another thread item, which I've appended below.)
>
> Our SVG OT spec should allow for:
>
> a. some glyphs to specify their own color(s), and
> b. some glyphs simply to inherit the color of the surrounding style, without specifying their own color(s).

I'm a bit late to this discussion, so please forgive me if this ground has already been covered...

Would there be a way in (a) to allow a user of a font to modify the colors defined int the glyphs/font? For example, say Erik van Blokland makes an SVG OT version of his Federal family[1] for licensing to customers. In this font, he would have the fills of the layers defined as:

	shadow = gray
	bevel = black
	fill = white
	inline = green

A user licenses this for use on a website that has a black background. Could the user change the background layer color to orange via CSS or something else?

From my perspective as a typeface designer, this is a pretty important detail in all of this.

Tal

[1] http://letterror.com/catalog/fed/gallery.html