Re: SVG templating language standards?

On 7/12/22 10:51 AM, Brennan Young wrote:
> Manu's question appears to be about *display* (i.e. presentation), rather than
> just delivery of verifiable string data (e.g. a hash or a public key) to a
> client. Do I understand this correctly? Clarification on this point would be
> useful.

Yes, it's purely about display to an individual that does not have visual
accessibility needs. There will need to be other mechanisms that focus on
expression of the information for individuals with accessibility needs (such
as an "audio rendering of the credential" or automatic translation of
credential elements to braille.

I should also be clear that the VCWG takes a11y quite seriously, and I've
personally been coordinating with W3C WAI / APA for years to try and make sure
we're doing the right thing when it comes to a11y needs.

I also acknowledge that we need to provide a11y hints in the SVG.

Another concern is proper internationalization, which we took an attempt at in
the first iteration, but want to improve upon in the VCWG 2.0 work.

At it's core, a Verifiable Credential carries semantic data that can be
rendered in a variety of ways (visual, audio, physical). At the most basic
level, it's possible to use the source semantic data and render it in these
three representations... but that might breed a new class of a11y technology
that doesn't take advantage of all of the work done to date on HTML.

As Leonard mentioned, we can't count on HTML because, while many credentials
will be rendered in the browser, some will be rendered in Apps. Also, realize
that we plan to have VC's that provide "rendering preferences" -- preferred
render mode (visual/audio/physical), contrast, color optimization for things
like protanopia, etc.

Currently, we see the rendering pipeline for VCs as such:

1. Get raw Verifiable Credential.
2. Determine if it has "rendering hints" (
   for visual, audio, physical).
3. Determine what the individuals rendering preferences
   are.
4. Determine what the individuals language preferences
   are.
5. Utilize the individuals rendering and language
   preferences to convey the VC to them.

At present, this email thread is only focused on the "visual display" portion.
I expect to start conversations about the "audio display" and "physical
display" use cases with WAI.

> With the experience of accessibility on the web thus far, it would be wisest
> not to rely on content authors to provide special handling for these
> credentials to achieve accessibility conformance in their presentation, but I
> recognise that this is a greater challenge.

Yes, fully aware of how steep that hill is to climb... which is why we're
trying to provide solutions that allow "automatic rendering" utilizing
"rendering hints".

I hope the above makes sense... it's been a challenge to convey the vision
since things are a bit early in this particular area of Verifiable Credentials.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://www.digitalbazaar.com/