Re: Proposed Open and Interactive Widgets for STEM Community Group

Gerardo and all interested in SVG (beyond ebooks):

This is certainly good for the land of ePub, as a
whole (I trust, not just Benetech's
constituencies). I hope these efforts trickle
down to whoever they can help, wherever.
Unfortunately, I needed (was at least hoping for)
substantive action on interactive SVG more
quickly than it could happen, so I'm mostly now
moving on to other projects. I'll stick around on
the list and do what I can, but my attention's
turned elsewhere, for the most part.

Where *I* needed interactive SVG, and saw a huge
gap is on the Web, with interactive data, that generated tables on the fly.

There's a ton of big data.  We need a ton of
interactive and accessible SVG to go with
it.  Anybody got a lead on government funding to
fix the tools that do *not* generate accessible
SVG, as far as I could determine?

Please, let's not forget this need for data
accessibility on the Web, in the midst of
Benetech's pointer in another direction. But as
we all know, "follow the money" is key, and based
on what I've seen, it looks like Benetech's got plenty these days.

Good luck to whoever can do whatever.  Why not
revise the notes on the subject of accessible SVG
since all that's out there is from 2000, or something?

When you and I spoke at Open Web Camp, Doug, I
had funding that I could have directed (to pay
for some of my time), but I'm afraid that's now gone.

I'm left wondering, then, if maybe these two
community groups should merge and get some action going.

Best to all,
Jennifer