Re: SVG WG agenda for the TPAC F2F

On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 17:13 -0700, Erik Dahlstrom wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> the agenda for the SVG WG F2F before TPAC and at TPAC is now online:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/F2F/TPAC_2011/Agenda
>
> If you want to dial in further details will be posted to the public-svg-wg
> mailinglist as soon as we have them, but staying on the #svg irc channel
> at irc.w3.org:6665 is recommended.

I will probably dial in late morning after my kids are in bed. In the
meantime, I began looking at the current state of the SVG 2.0 spec and
have the following comments:

0. Editing instructions need to be on a Wiki!!

   Including style information, best practices, etc. Took me a while
to figure out how to update my HG checkout (pull followed by update).

1. Change HTML headers to HTML5

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

or

<!DOCTYPE html>

2 Change SVG examples to not use DOCTYPE.

   What is the exact recommended structure?

3. Add Typographic conventions section?

   See:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/introduction.html#typographic-conventions

   Pick better colors!!  Yellow on green = yuck!

4. Allow notes/comments/issues.

   For example, how do we note that the Java Language Bindings
   are not available as indicated in Appendix C?

5. Set standards for figures:

   Recommended size.
   Common font-family, font-size, color scheme.

   Contrast the first figure in Chapter 13 with last figure
   in Chapter 11.

6. <edit:example> doesn't center caption under figure.

7. How to do figure captions?

8. What is the status of:

   http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/2.0/publish/index.html ?

For a nice looking spec, see: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/
(with issues included: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/).

Other:

1. The Color chapter title seems to be misleading. It deals mostly
   with the 'color' property and the 'color-profile' element, ignoring
   topics a naive person would expect to find there such as a
   discussion of sRGB and color keyword names (both found in chapter
   4) or the use of color in a fill or stroke. At least references
   to other places in the spec where color is discussed should be
   included.