Re: SVG in HTML Questions

Hi Alex,

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 09:48 +1100, Alex Danilo wrote:

> >PS. Did I mention that SMIL is a resource hog?
>
> Yes you did.
>
> But, the statement is an observation and sweeping generalization.
>
> SMIL is not a resource hog - the implementations you have tested
> with are clearly non-optimal. Any animation engine will chew all
> the CPU if implemented naively. Frame rate control is important for
> managing CPU hogging, as I'm sure the Flash folks are aware of as well.

Of course you are right. On my Button test page, Firefox pegs the CPU,
Opera and Chrome are a bit better. Obviously not as much thought has
gone into the efficiency of SMIL implementations (compared to JavaScript
implementations). It doesn't appear that one can control the frame rate,
relying on the implementations to do so.

      Tav

BTW, I use Flashblock to keep Flash from overwhelming my CPU.