Re: ISSUE-2394 (text-newline): Newline removal in text processing not useful [SVG 2]

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:06:12 +0100, SVG Working Group Issue Tracker
<sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> ISSUE-2394 (text-newline): Newline removal in text processing not useful
> [SVG 2]
>
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2394
>
> Raised by: Cameron McCormack
> On product: SVG 2
>
> I see that text.html#WhiteSpace says that newlines in
> <text xml:space="default"> must be removed, rather than replaced with a
> space.  I find that a bit strange, and at least inconsistent with HTML.
>
> Here is a small test:
> http://people.mozilla.org/~cmccormack/tests/text-newline.svg
>
> WebKit and Batik remove the newline.  Firefox and Opera replace it with
> a space.  (Haven’t got my Windows VM set up to test IE.)
>
> I think the spec should change to match Firefox/Opera behaviour.

I can confirm that Opera replaces all tab (U+0009), linefeed (U+000A) and
carriage return (U+000D) with a space (U+0020) for both xml:space=preserve
and xml:space=default. For the latter case the resulting string then gets
the leading and trailing whitespace stripped and other whitespaces
collapsed into a single space character.

Aligning with HTML sounds like a good idea to me.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group