Re: ISSUE-2389 (map color to fill): Consider allowing CSS 'color' property to apply to 'fill' [SVG 2]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:16:52 +0100, SVG Working Group Issue Tracker
<sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> ISSUE-2389 (map color to fill): Consider allowing CSS 'color' property
> to apply to 'fill' [SVG 2]
>
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2389
>
> Raised by: Doug Schepers
> On product: SVG 2
>
> Some authors coming from the CSS+HTML world are used to using 'color'
> rather than 'fill', so we might consider what 'color' means in the SVG
> context (along with other CSS properties).

You can use 'color' in svg [1], it defines what currentColor is, so it's a
two-step process to make it apply as a fill:

   <ellipse style="color: blue; fill: currentColor" ... />

So what you seem to be asking for is to make 'fill' change its initial
value from black to currentColor. That would likely break some content.
/Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/color.html#ColorProperty

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group