Re: SVG 1.1 2nd Edition Test Suite using svgweb (locally)

On Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 2:58:33 AM, Alex wrote:

AD> <snip/>
>>However, since SVGWeb also works with Firefox, Chrome, and Safari (in
>>order to provide a consistent experience cross-browser), I see no reason
>>we should specifically single out IE.  Maybe whoever put the harness
>>together could speak to that?

In part, yes.

 Shouldn't SVGWeb just work with the test suites?

AD> +1.

Yes, it should. if someone has SVGWeb installed on whatever browser they use, as their SVG implementation, then it should work with existing markup. It may well do, I don't know.

For those of use who test multiple implementations though, ie not the general population, its easy to swithc to a different browser (mostly, modulo any problems with running multiple builds of the same one) but swapping between plugins is a pain, and fragile.

I don't want to install and uninstall all the time whenever I make a test run. I don't want to be penalized if I want to compare two implementations side by side.

So it is a *great convenience* to have a harness that explicitly identifies the implementation being tested, and lets me run SVGWeb through the test suite and see how it behaves. Especially since I tend to run it in IE7, and already have another SVG implementation (Alex's, in fact) installed to be the default plugin for SVG on IE7.

To do that, the harness needs to identify the plugin explicitly.

AD> Whilst SVGWeb is a great piece of work, it is just a (sophisticated) hack to use
AD> Flash as a render engine for SVG for browsers that don't have SVG (<IE9).

AD> So it is a bit of a strange thing to have as part of an official test harness -

The tests themselves are official, and may not be modified and still called the official test suite.

The harness is not official and any convenient harness can be used.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG