Re: Agenda Request (future) : Fonts

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:57:06 +0100
To: Patrick Dengler <patd@microsoft.com>
CC: "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
On Monday, January 18, 2010, 7:37:39 PM, Patrick wrote:

PD> I will not be able to be on the call today, but I would like the
PD> following item for consideration for Thursday:

PD> I didn't see on the new proposed charter any mention of SVG Fonts
PD> vs. Web Fonts.  Should we be investigating that (perhaps it is already in the works).

Web Fonts is a method to describe and link to downloadable fonts. SVG uses the Web Fonts mechanism, in either the CSS or XML serialisations. CSS3 also uses the Web Fonts mechanism (as did CSS2 but not CSS 2.1). Web Fonts is format agnostic.

SVG Fonts is a format. EOT, OT, TT, WOFF and CWT are other font formats.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead