Re: Minutes, 26 September 2009 SVG WG F2F - Day 1

On Monday, September 28, 2009, 2:59:53 PM, Robert wrote:

ROC> Does SVG intend to alter the behaviour of the CSS font matching
ROC> algorithm when an SVG Font with 'missing-glyph' is specified in
ROC> 'font-family'?

No.

And specifically, its not 'a match'. Which is why it has a different element name, to indicate that its not a regular glyph.

It just provides a glyph that could be used for characters that are not covered. However, other fonts in the font-family list, or the generic font family, or a system fallback font, might have coverage. And even if they do not, the actual 'missing glyph' might be drawn from the svg font, or drawn from any other font n the list (commonly, the last one on the list).

ROC>  I can't find anything in the spec to confirm this. If so, in what manner?

Did you find anything which implies that SVG alters the font matching algorithm?

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG