Re: figure role backgrounds

Anne, I had not been to the SVG working group meetings of late as the meetings were scheduled at a time I could not attend. I see the group made a significant change here in that it went back to using namespaces for HTML features like Iframe so that you can add all of HTML.

Regardless, it is a lot easier for the author to add a role than to add a namespace for HTML and a prefixed HTML figure element when all you want is the role semantics. ARIA initially had namespaced role values and they were not favored by browser community. We should probably add something to the SVG accessibility API mapping spec. to refer to the HTML AAM for those namespaced elements.

The accessibility people want to use semantics consistently across host languages.

There is a place for both.

Rich

Sent from my iPad