Re: SVG AAM Data and rendering - Amelia's changes review part 2

(I touched on this topic in my reply to Fred's first email [1], but it's
worth more careful discussion.)

The guiding role for creating the accessibility tree is that it should
reflect the content as able-bodied users experience it. If an author wants
to present a complete data set including missing data, they need to make
that content available to all users, not hide it in the markup of a graphic.

The references to "rendered elements" were added to remove a lot of the
complexity from previous drafts.  It allows us to remove all sorts of
explicit rules for different cases.  Some elements are never rendered,
other elements are not rendered because of a never-rendered ancestor, other
elements are not rendered because of conditional processing attributes
and/or a switch element, and other elements are not rendered because of
display: none.  By referencing the new SVG 2 definitions of "rendered
element" and "non-rendered element", we cover all these cases, and any
future ones, with a single word.

Elements can be *invisible* and yet still be *rendered* from the
perspective of the user agent.  Some invisible elements are considered
hidden from assistive technologies, some are not.  The rules for
determining whether something is hidden are based on the existing
pointer-events property, and only include properties with discrete keyword
values for the invisible state (visibility: hidden and fill/stroke: none).

These rules are *much simpler* than the rules user agents currently use to
determine whether HTML content is hidden or not.  Properties you would
likely to animate, such as opacity and geometry (width, height, etc), are
not used to determine if something is hidden.

Invisibility can be over-ridden by adding interactivity, or by adding
aria-hidden="false".

Non-rendered elements are never interactive.  ARIA theoretically allows
non-rendered elements to be included with aria-hidden="false", but this is
really problematic for user agents, and ARIA currently warns against it.

*All that said:*

I would be willing to remove the dependence on fill/stroke: none.  It adds
a lot of extra complexity for what are likely to be relatively rare use
cases (an author using these properties to hide content).  Even as I was
writing this, I realized an additional complication that I had not factored
in: markers.  A path can have no fill, no stroke, but still be visible
because of markers.  (I've pushed edits for that).

I'm interested in other opinions: should we keep the rules simple, even if
it means that some elements are not hidden as the author intended?

[1]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-a11y/2016May/0024.html