Re: ARIA roles for graphics

I think if we can define figure well enough that won't be a problem as
there is a corresponding HTML element. iconbutton will be tougher as most
platforms just treat this as a button. Icon in IA2 simply defines a small
fixed size picture. IA2 is implemented by FF and Chrome.

IA2

 IA2_ROLE_ICON    A small fixed size picture, typically used to decorate
                  components.

We went round and round on a lot of this with the DPUB ARIA spec. It was
determined that it would be best to put the taxonomy vocabulary precursor
at the front and minimize the amount of roles that went into the main ARIA
spec. One big reason for this is browser vendors, like Microsoft, wanted to
claim they were ARIA compliant. If we all of a sudden add a new role to the
main ARIA vocabulary then they fall out of compliant. Later on, when they
are ready, the can say they are ARIA graphics compliant or ARIA DPUB
compliant. ARIA has gained international recognition and a essential
standard to support accessibility. The browser manufacturers don't want to
lose their compliance claims. That does not prevent us from tweaking the
vocabulary a bit for things like role="img" in the ARIA spec. if it does
not break other things.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger