Re: Minutes: SVG A11y TF telecon, 29th May 2015

Chaals and Jason,

We didn't complete the discussion on symbol and icon during the call and
will pick up the discussion on symbol on Friday. Doug brought the
difference between icon and symbol by referring to this page
http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-icon-and-vs-symbol/.

Since we are looking at the graphics domain, if we want to "split hairs" as
long as we think they are meaningful we should.

 I would like to see a symbol role be the default role for the symbol
element. According to Rich's mapping doc, symbol either does not get mapped
at all or maps to group. Symbol is a standard term in many fields that can
have things rendered in SVG. Math, physical sciences (chemistry, physics),
cartography (map making), statistical charts/infograhics, blue
prints/technical drawings all use the term symbol as part of their lexicon
(and I don't believe they use the term icon). Unicode has symbols but not
icons. Since our goal it to be friendly to users, especially professionals
and students - calling a symbol an icon would be a disservice and
disadvantage to AT users.

As Doug mentioned on Friday, icon is widely used in web development for
graphics associated with buttons, menu items and toolbars. And I think that
is a valid role.

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
       Accessibility, Watson Innovations
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
        W3C SVG Accessibility Task Force
                   IBM Watson