Re: Comments on SVG Accessibility Mappings -- Default and Allowed Semantics

Hi Amelia,

I think that it depends on the application but the default should be that
the user agent renders a tooltip from the title attribute. If no aria label
is applied and there is a title attribute then it falls back to <title>.
The problem is that because user agents don't specify how to definitively
process it then authors don't know how to reliably use it. That, to me, is
a problem with SVG.

Now that we have aria-label I think it would be much safer to make it a
normative requirement that <title> show a tooltip. Note: Google originally
asked for this as there were times where they did not want to render text
visibly that acted as a label and they did not want to go through the
difficulty of dealing with aria-labelledby and hiding the text. What I
don't know is the backward compatibility impact.

So, if you were creating say a menu bar then you would not want to add a
title attribute and you would need to either render the text directly. Some
applications may use the title as a visible "hint" vs. label text. That is
why it is left as a last resort.

aria-describedby is use to reference a much longer description embedded in
the page that may or may not be visible depending on the authors intent. It
may be there just for assistive technologies but it may also be used to
reference a long description such as a detailed description for a large
drawing on the page.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger