Re: A couple of comments on SVG2 Accessibility API Mappings

Thanks Erik. response below.

Rich Schwerdtfeger

Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com> wrote on 01/23/2015 07:24:32 AM:

> From: Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
> To: "public-svg-a11y@w3.org" <public-svg-a11y@w3.org>
> Date: 01/23/2015 07:25 AM
> Subject: A couple of comments on SVG2 Accessibility API Mappings
>
> Hi,
>
> some early comments on
> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/svg-aam/svg-aam.html.
>
> == Intro section -
> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/svg-aam/svg-aam.html#intro ==
>
> > "Unlike earlier versions of SVG, SVG2 also closely aligns with the DOM

> > Level 3 Core and HTML5 events to facilitate JavaScript use."
>
> I would suggest dropping the first half of this sentence. SVG Tiny 1.2
did
> require a subset of DOM Level 3 Core. SVG has supported JavaScript
> (ECMAScript) since version 1.0, so it's not new in SVG2 (which seems to
be
> implied).

done.

> > "With SVG2, authors will now be able to produce rich ineractive charts,

> > and drawings while be accessible to a much broader range of users
> > allowing the author to dynamically supply their intended semantics
> > through through the use of WAI-ARIA."
>
> *interactive. This also seems to imply that rich interactive charts is
> something new in SVG2, where really it's the a11y that's being improved
> here. Would it be possible for this section to convey that message in a
> better way?

done.

> == Mapping WAI-ARIA to Accessibility APIs -
> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/svg-aam/svg-aam.html#mapping_conflicts
==

> > "SVG user agents must conform to Conflicts between native markup
> > semantics and WAI-ARIA in [CORE-AAM] where the host language is
[SVG2]."

> Not sure if it's an important distinction to make here, but svg UA's thus

> far have tended to not care about which specific version of SVG was used

> for the markup, and svg2 has even removed the 'version' attribute on
<svg>.

> Should this just say "SVG" instead of "SVG2"? I assume the intent is that

> svg-aam should still apply to e.g SVG3.

I understand. I have been working to the SVG2 spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/

What I will do is make this [SVG] and then link to this rec. track version
of the spec. for now. We should think about this in the title of the SVG2
spec which currently says:
Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) 2

I have made the changes to have this refer to SVG.

> == SVG2 Element Mapping Table -
> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/svg-aam/svg-aam.html#mapping_role_table

> ==
>
> feCustom has been dropped from the Filter Effects spec, suggest removing

> it here too. See http://www.w3.org/TR/filter-effects/#changes.

done in the mapping spec. and the SVG2 spec. for the aria section.