Re: Presentation on Accessible SVG at Libre Graphics 2015 in Toronto (29 April – 2 May)

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 10:48 -0700, Amelia Bellamy-Royds wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I am planning to submit a proposal for a short presentation on the
> work of the SVG accessibility task force, and accessible web graphics
> in general, for the Libre Graphics conference this spring in
> Toronto (29 April – 2 May).
>

> Will anyone else be there and/or interested in collaborating?  I know
> Doug has done talks on SVG accessibility in the past, and I know Tav
> frequently does a general update on SVG working group activities at
> the Libre Graphics conferences.

I plan on being there. I haven't submitted a talk yet (I missed the
deadline too). I could collaborate but I am not sure how helpful I can
be.

> Unfortunately, there's not much time to decide: Submission deadline is
> Monday (February 1).  Sorry for the (very) late notice, I wasn't
> paying enough attention to timelines.  The conference promises to
> confirm the accepted presentation list by 20 February, so if you'd
> only be coming if the presentation/workshop is selected you would
> still have a couple months to arrange travel plans.
>

> Doug & Tav might know more about the conference than myself, since I
> haven't been before.  It is an annual meet-up of contributors to open
> source graphics software.  It would therefore be a chance to connect
> with people building graphics-creating tools about how they can
> integrate better accessibility support.
>

> This year's conference also happens to be conveniently co-located in
> the same city as friends and family whom I'd like an excuse to visit,
> but that may be less of a selling point for the rest of you.
>

> Tentative summary of my presentation (for a 20min talk, an
> overview/introduction to the main issues rather than an in-depth
> exploration):
>

>         Accessible Web Graphics
>       * Quick overview of accessibility in general, using the WCAG
>         categories of perceivable, operable, understandable, and
>         robust
>       * What does this mean for graphics?  It depends on their
>         purpose: what information is being communicated, in what ways
>         should they be interactive
>       * Accessibility in SVG 1.0 and 1.1: structured content, readable
>         text, links, titles and descriptions
>       * How web accessibility has advanced since then, particularly
>         how ARIA supports advanced interaction and more complex
>         document structures
>       * Goals and ongoing projects of the SVG Accessibility Task
>         Force; how ARIA will be integrated into SVG 2
>       * How these techniques could be extended to apply to non-SVG
>         graphics, such as HTML canvas graphics (using focus-able
>         fallback content) or other XML-based vector graphics (such as
>         those used in open document drawing formats)

Looks like a good outline. I am guessing the knowledge level of
accessibility issues will be very low on average at the conference so
the talk should be aimed at a very basic level.

> If other people want to get involved and make it a bigger thing, we
> could pitch a complementary 1hr workshop.  That could include
> brainstorming ideas with participants about how they can adapt the
> specific tools they work on, or demonstrating various ATs with
> accessible and non-accessible web graphics.

We'll be having a three day Inkscape hacking session before the
conference. It might be useful to talk with the Inkscape community about
what Inkscape can do to make creating accessible SVG's easier.

> Feel free to contact me, on or off list, if you have any ideas or
> questions,

Tav