Re: Greening of Streaming

Hi Dom,

Thank you very much for sharing. Do you have a link to your studies?

Figuring out the actual impact of reducing the size of the data transfer on
the carbon footprint of a website is something that some of us in this
group have been looking into for a while. Any information would be greatly
appreciated, we have generally been basing our understanding based on
Malmodin et al.'s studies.

We are also currently trying to assess if we can find any correlation
between common automated performance recommendations (e.g. Lighthouse
audits), and the energy requirements of a website on mobile devices (link
to proposal
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EF7pJI5RrUoikTF9QVmeGUXTKJBYV0wOKWip81yczr8/edit?resourcekey=0-gVctkRTBBH85H5nmSK6gCA>
).

That being said, it's important to note that although the understanding in
the group (afaik) is that the formula/approach has room for improvement,
it's better to have a starting point and work from there, creating
awareness of the caveats, than to do nothing at all. This is a nuanced and
complex problem that will likely take time to be solved.

Thanks again!

Zoe (Maria) Lopez-Latorre *(they/them)*

Advertising Solutions Architect - Conversion Optimisation

mariazoe@google.com | marialzlatorre@google.com |+44 7385 082889
<+44+7385+082889>

*This email may be confidential and privileged. If you received this
communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please
erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it has gone
to the wrong person.  **The above terms reflect a potential business
arrangement, are provided solely as a basis for further discussion, and are
not intended to be and do not constitute a legally binding obligation. No
legally binding obligations will be created, implied, or inferred until an
agreement in final form is executed in writing by all parties involved. *