Re: Greening of Streaming

Hi Neil,

<<
If we reduced a website's homepage from say 3MB to 500KB, that will not
directly reduce emissions in the network because the overall energy needed
to pump data around the internet will not be affected by that reduction;
the various pieces of hardware will still be turned on regardless of
whether that reduction occurs or not. This might be overly simplistic, but
is that broadly true?

Yes. That's it. Environmental impacts will occur whether or not you use the
network, as 80% of the impacts are concentrated in the manufacturing of
internet user boxes/gateways and their power consumption. The boxes remain
ON 24 hours a day whether we use them or not. Regarding the core network of
telecom operators, which concentrates 20% of the impacts, it is the same
situation: the network is deployed and turned ON whether it is used or not.
<<
Depending on how we achieved that reduction (e.g. image compression,
removal of JS etc), can we be confident that we will have reduced battery
drain or power usage on the person's device? If we really want to push this
point, we could think about how that helps elongate the life of devices? By
that I mean, reducing the strain on devices to download and execute
excessive code will help them last longer.

On the Internet user's smartphone/computer side, it is manufacturing that
concentrates the impacts. We must therefore avoid prematurely triggering
terminal obsolescence. An old smartphone or computer connected to the end
of a DSL line will have more difficulty displaying a 3 MB image in an
acceptable time than a 500 KB image.

<<
I've seen it mentioned before that the thing that increases emissions in
the network is when new hardware has to be deployed to cope with high peak
loads. Given that page weight has increased 77% on desktop and 149% on
mobile
<https://httparchive.org/reports/page-weight?start=2015_12_01&end=latest&view=list>,
do you think that this level of increase has played a part in increasing
that peak load? To ask it another way, perhaps more provocatively, if there
had been significant decreases to the average page weight, do you think
network emissions would have reduced as a consequence? The IEA
says: Estimated global data centre electricity consumption in 2022 was
240-340 TWh, or around 1-1.3% of global final electricity demand, which is
a 10-55% increase from 2015.

There is clearly a correlation between the weight of content accessed from
the Internet and the updating of the hardware constituting the network. In
30 years, we have gone from connection at 2.4 KB/s to 24 MB/s without the
TTFB improving considerably. The bigger the pipes, the more we fill them. See
Wirth's law on this subject.

<<
I've also seen papers where the conclusion is that network devices increase
their power consumption by a tiny fraction when data transfer through them
increases (this might be out of date thinking if that latest research says
that there is no increase at all?). A conclusion that some have drawn is
that website page size therefore doesn't matter when thinking about the
emissions caused by websites. But with a tiny fraction of power increases
based on data passing through the network, a 60% increase in internet users
and those users consuming increasingly large websites/software, could data
transfer/file size be an important factor alongside aggressively blocking
bots, carbon aware computing, genuine renewable energy powered data
centres, minimising data centre footprint etc etc?

The most important parameters - those that determine the amount of
environmental impacts - are, in descending order:
1. size and depth of the DOM,
2. number of HTTP requests,
3. content's weight.

Best,