Re: Ethical Web Principles

Hi Alex. thanks for sharing this.

If you’re going to look refer to this, it’s worth being aware that there’s a whole discussion going on about the Sustainability principle, calling it anticompetitive for daring to refer to energy use, as well as a W3C session in 2019 from Tantek Celik.

https://github.com/w3ctag/ethical-web-principles/issues/ <https://github.com/w3ctag/ethical-web-principles/issues/>

A while back I raised this issue to tweak the language to refer to carbon specifically - at the time, I figured it was a way to talk about the thing we really care about - the harmful effects of the emissions rather than the energy use, as when we only look at efficiency/consumption as a lever, we miss all kinds of opportunities for improvement

https://github.com/w3ctag/ethical-web-principles/issues/11 <https://github.com/w3ctag/ethical-web-principles/issues/11>

We cover this in more detail with this three levers model here:
https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org/news/three-levers-for-change-as-a-technologist-consumption-intensity-and-direction <https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org/news/three-levers-for-change-as-a-technologist-consumption-intensity-and-direction>

There are obviously more issues to account for than just carbon, and we cover some of them in this report we released before:

https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org/publications/report-fog-of-enactment/ <https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org/publications/report-fog-of-enactment/>

There are all kinds equity related issues as well TBH, as well as non carbon related impacts to account for, and we’ve died into some of this here as well

https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org/news/what-people-think-building-a-sustainable-internet-involves-vs-what-it-might-actually-be/ <https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org/news/what-people-think-building-a-sustainable-internet-involves-vs-what-it-might-actually-be/>
https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org/news/who-pays-for-cleaner-energy-on-the-web/ <https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org/news/who-pays-for-cleaner-energy-on-the-web/>

Chris Adams

Co-director

w: thegreenwebfoundation.org