Re: Green Mode Design 2

Salut Olivier!

I love the httpe proposal! There are various certification initiatives I'm
aware of, but this implementation seems like the highest visibility and
potential impact. Happy to support in any way. And yes, my latest blog post
also suggests incentives around browser search results.

Re: terminology, I do think the terms you mentioned have their own semantic
place.

Digital Sobriety is an inclusive concept and aim. Green Mode Design would
be one tool to achieve digital sobriety. My only reservation from a
background in behaviour change interventions, is that the concept of
sobriety is not a good persuasion tool. The word is generally associated
with attitudes toward alcohol in most people's minds, and although I myself
don't drink, I am aware how much that is a part of people's lives and
cultures. It also (validly!) emphasises restraint, which is the right thing
to emphasise, but psychologically it can carry a sense of deprivation,
which again, is not persuasively effective. I think a more persuasive term
would be something like "digital balance" "digital sustainability" "digital
mindfulness". Sustainability is probably the best, given how present it
already is in the discourse, and growing in positive affect. A large
percentage of people are willing to pay for or make changes achieve
"sustainability" so we would be riding an existing wave.

Graceful degradation is an established design term and concept, that has
not traditionally been linked to sustainability but to backward browser
compatibility. So that one can stay! But my proposal is to harness it in
pursuit of "digital sustainability".

Green Mode (or Eco Mode, or Low Energy Mode, or Energy Efficient Mode, in
terms of terminology already in the wild), is also a design concept
subordinate to and not in competition with digital
sobriety/sustainability.  I'm happy with any of those, and might be worth
finding out whether Green translated well into other languages or the
others would be more universal. Do they use "green" or even "eco" in
Chinese or Arabic?