Re: A request for help - an idea called carbon.txt

The idea of an ethical text file is fine in principle however the authors primary thought of expecting every source along the tree to include their consumption on their own website is unrealistic as at any point, should the chain break; you’re left with potentially inaccurate or missing information. Your text file alone should remain the primary source of any carbon footprint showcasing the tree of output - Just like you would on a privacy report for GDPR (identifying companies who handle data along the route) in a spider map.

Regarding adoption, it might help to build some sort of calculator which identifies how green your environment, staging, code, and hardware are (to both the company and end user), then give it a rating A to F. Like Google does to site performance. That metric along with the “points” of interest (what achievements the site made) could be included in the txt with a link to the score.

It would make it both human readable and more public friendly (plus easier to test against).