Re: How much of the web runs on renewables today?

Great to see this project. Lots of resources I collected going back several
years at http://sustainablevirtualdesign.wordpress.com

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:04 AM, Chris Adams <chris@productscience.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Through this group, I've made a few useful contacts, who have helped me do
> some research I figured might be interesting.
>
> I was planning to use it as background research for the Planet Friendly
> Web Guide <https://www.planetfriendlyweb.org/>, as I work on it this
> week, but I figured others might find it useful, or interesting.
>
> Here are the highlights:
>
>    - Youtube.com is now more popular than google.com. Who knew?
>    - The top three websites in the world run on renewable power. Huzzah!
>    - Based on the greenweb foundation’s data, around 7% of the web the
>    most popular domains on the net run on renewable power. We have a lot of
>    work to do, clearly.
>    - Hetzner AG, a German hosting company hosts more domains running on
>    green power  in the top 100k sites according to Alexa than Google does.
>
> I've written a blog post below summarising this, and linking to the code I
> used to generate the dataset, and what little analysis I've been doing:
>
> https://blog.chrisadams.me.uk/2018/05/15/how-much-of-the-
> web-runs-on-renewables-today/
>
> I'm really looking for others interested in looking through this, to come
> up with other interesting findings a bit like how Tim did with the
> Ecograder stuff.
>
> So, if you know any folks who like playing with data, and well… like the
> planet, please do share this with them.
>
> *A favour to ask*
>
> If you could help me with this next thing, I'd be *super* happy.
>
> I'm looking for numbers for the energy use for servers, per hour, for
> running infrastructure, so I can build a calculator to share on the web -
> can anyone here can point me to a resource that isn't behind a massive
> paywall,?
>
> If I have this I can work out a CO2 emissions per hour figure (which
> probably should take into account where in the world the servers are
> <https://www.planetfriendlyweb.org/your-packets/#energy-mix-around-the-world>),
> and have enough to start testing a methodology for helping tech companies
> get a ballpark figure in terms of CO2 emissions of infra they are already
> running, so they model different ways to run the applications/products they
> build.
>

> --
> See when I'm available for a call: https://calendly.com/mrchrisadams
> Subscribe to my newsletter about digital product development:
> http://bit.ly/prod-sci-method
>
> Chris Adams

=================
*Dr. Pete Markiewicz*
*Email:* pindiespace@gmail.com
*Portfolio:* http://plyojump.com
*Github:* http://github.com/pindiespace
*Linkedin:* http://linkedin.com/in/pindiespace
=================

*My "Ux in VR" presentations on Google Docs (note you can comment)WebVR 1.0
APIhttps://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13a29m0SbpTeItFP8fjrSoKNb7nsjAd4DC9lWnokWEfg/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13a29m0SbpTeItFP8fjrSoKNb7nsjAd4DC9lWnokWEfg/edit?usp=sharing>Sustainable
Ux in
VRhttps://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OTXaz3RuV0HWgM754PRMUC7d2KYVHH974s5hnAt53wk/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OTXaz3RuV0HWgM754PRMUC7d2KYVHH974s5hnAt53wk/edit?usp=sharing>Sustainable
virtual design blog:* http://sustainablevirtualdesign.wordpress.com
*Sustainability template:* http://greenboilerplate.com
*Sustainable Ux in Virtual Reality for Sustainable Ux 2017 (narrated): *
*https://youtu.be/bU0tz05lcBw <https://youtu.be/bU0tz05lcBw>*
=================
*Buy my book! *- Millennials and the Popular Culture
*Lifecourse:* http://www.lifecourse.com/store/catalog/lca/mpc.html
*Amazon Author Page:*
http://www.amazon.com/Pete-Markiewicz/e/B0069VZ7BG/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_2
*On that page, see my DARPA Grand Challenge 2005 entry video, "Team
Robomonster":*
*Team Robomonster *(DARPA 2005 Grand Challenge):
http://robotsthatjump.wordpress.com/category/team-robomonster/
*Indiespace *(1st to sell downloaded music, March 1994):
http://www.indiespace.com. Also see http://archive.org under
"Kspace.com" 1996 for our original site.