Re: Additional parameters to SpeechRecognition (was "Speech API: first editor's draft posted")

I think (hope) that most web developers won't have to worry about
confidence values because the default set by the speech recognizer should
be sufficient.

However, a JS API developer savvy enough to understand how/when to properly
set a confidenceThreshold, is also savvy enough to intelligently process
the confidence values returned in the results. As Deborah mentioned [1],
"For example, if the top two alternatives in the nbest have very similar
confidences...".  Typically, processing the confidence result values is a
much better strategy than trying to tune the confidenceThreshold.

Only extremely savvy JS API developers will understand how to properly tune
the confidenceThreshold so that it prunes (but doesn't over prune) the data
returned.  I believe these developers can best adjust
the confidenceThreshold by processing the confidence result values returned
by prior recognitions (as opposed to simply bumping the default value by
0.05).

Also, from an implementation standpoint, there's a major issue with
making confidenceThreshold readable. If the developer switches to a new
recognizer, the default confidenceThreshold may change. If the developer
then reads the confidenceThreshold (for example, to increment it by 0.05),
then presumably the browser needs to get the default confidence value from
the speech recognizer. For a remote recognizer, this round-trip takes time,
and the browser cannot stall the javascript processing.

/Glen Shires

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-speech-api/2012Apr/0031.html

--
Thanks!