Re: The Speech API needs support for event listeners for synthesis events

Hi Gerardo,

I'm glad you mentioned this issue. I also agree, the TTS API really needs
to include events that can be triggered at markers or before each word is
spoken. Not only are there a number of very important applications that
need this functionality, but most TTS engines and most other TTS APIs
already have this feature or something equivalent. Leaving it out severely
limits the potential applications and might hinder the adoption of web TTS.

In general, I think we should look carefully at both (1) the capabilities
provided by the majority of speech engines, and (2) the features available
in most other TTS APIs, when designing this API. When designing Chrome's
APIs, I looked at the native APIs in Windows and Mac OS X, and the external
interface exposed by several free and commercial speech engines. If a
feature was supported by almost all of them, I gave it high priority. If a
feature was desired by users but not currently supported by most platforms
or engines, I considered it low priority, because there'd be no point in
adding an API that's unlikely to be widely implementable in practice.

Here are some examples of features that I found to be widely supported:

* Enqueueing an utterance to be spoken as soon as the next one finishes
* Controlling the rate, pitch, and volume at a high level (without needing
markup)
* Getting callbacks when speech starts, finishes, and at markers and
between words

In contrast, I found these features to be desired by some application
developers but not widely available:

* Callbacks for phonemes
* Speak to a file or audio buffer
* Jump to a particular location in the output audio

In the middie:

* SSML. Relatively few engines support SSML natively, but the vast majority
support at least some markup. I've been working on translating SSML to
various engine-specific markup.

- Dominic