RE: Speech API: first editor's draft posted

Speech API Community Group,Milan Young, Some ideas for extending SRGS include specifying JavaScript events on DOM elements in grammars, as a hypothesis towards the multimodal examples indicated in Section 4 of the HTML Speech Incubator Group Final Report (http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/XGR-htmlspeech-20111206/#use-cases): <item event="html5:click" target="...#element" before="0.5s" after="0.5s" /> or <event type="html5:click" target="...#element" before="0.5s" after="0.5s" /> Also, while SISR includes XML output scenarios (http://www.w3.org/TR/semantic-interpretation/#SI7, http://www.w3.org/TR/semantic-interpretation/#SI7.1, http://www.w3.org/TR/semantic-interpretation/#SI7.2, http://www.w3.org/TR/semantic-interpretation/#SI7.3), it is possible that SRGS and SSML could be enhanced for some specific emergent scenarios.  SSML's <prosody> topics are interesting. I also think that "SpeechRecognizer" and "SpeechSynthesizer" sound good for interface names. By runtime dynamic grammars, I mean those created in the browser, programmatically, for example with JavaScript.  .NET, Java and other speech API's support dynamic grammars; some developers might be accustomed to creating grammars programmatically.  An example use case is a website with a GUI component for displaying items, possibly using XHR or MXHR, and then the page can use JavaScript to create or update a grammar for speech functionality.  In that example use case, the items can each have annotative natural language data, such a website may even be multilingual, and the web application can utilize dynamicism with regard to one or more grammars for voice-based navigation and features.   Kind regards, AdamFrom: Milan.Young@nuance.com
To: adamsobieski@hotmail.com; hwennborg@google.com
CC: public-speech-api@w3.org; public-speech-api-contrib@w3.org
Subject: RE: Speech API: first editor's draft posted
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:55:56 +0000

The Voice Browser Working Group (http://www.w3.org/Voice/)
defines the SRGS and SSML standards.  I suggest that any extensions on incorporating mathematical statements into a speech application are routed through that group.

I agree that the TTS name needs work, and the names below seem like a good candidates.  I prefer “SpeechSynthesizer” because it fits well with Recognizer.

When you mention “runtime dynamic grammars”, do you mean those created within the browser?  Since I suspect that will complicate the API/implementation, I’d
 like to hear the use case.

Thanks