Re: Welcome to Spec-Annotation Mailing List

On 19 Dec 2013, at 02:16 , Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, folks–
>
> Welcome to the Specification Annotation list [1], where we're discussing the implementation, development, and deployment of a new experimental annotation system for community comments on W3C specifications, and also on the same system for Web Platform Docs.
>
> We've started some basic discussion of requirements on the WPD wiki [2]. We're using the Hypothes.is [3] annotation system (a specific implementation of the Annotator project) to comment on the requirements doc itself (how meta!); you can see the annotations by installing the alpha Hypothes.is extension [4] (in the future, no extension will be necessary).
>
> Down the road (hopefully sooner rather than later), we will be looking at what parts of the annotation system itself would benefit from standardization at W3C, especially with the groundwork laid by the W3C Open Annotation Community Group [5].

Just for info: the CG is strongly considering requesting a WG on that topic, ie, to pursue the OA model as a standard. Because OA plays a very important role in digital publishing (with a special emphasis in educational materials), I am very much in favour doing that as part of the digital publishing Activity, and I am happy to work on the charter and act as staff contact if it comes to that. I expect this issue to become real in January.

Also, as an info, IDPF is starting a separate working group on annotation, together with the OA guys, on how to do that in the realm of electronic books. Things are coming together...

Thanks

Ivan

> This list will be dedicated specifically to discussion of improvements to the spec annotation tool itself, though that may meander off into noodling about cool standardizable features from time to time. ^_^
>

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-spec-annotation/
> [2] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Annotations
> [3] http://okfnlabs.org/annotator/
> [4] http://hypothes.is/alpha/