Re: Issue 1 - ToMultiSet

good afternoon;

> On 2016-07-07, at 15:42, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 07/07/2016 06:31 AM, james anderson wrote:
>> good afternoon;
>>
>>> On 2016-07-07, at 14:12, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:pfpschneider@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>> […]
>>>

>> -1
>>
>> what is the concrete benefit of the “add a note” approach, when not putting
>> the entry in the table puts the reader in the position to need to correlate
>> information at different locations in the document?
>>
>> best regards, from berlin,
>> ---
>> james anderson | james@dydra.com <mailto:james@dydra.com> | http://dydra.com
>
> The only benefit is that this is a smaller change.  It does not remove
> ToMultiSet from the solution modifiers part of the algebra.
>
> I don't think that there are any negative consequences of the removal.  I
> believe that moving ToMultiSet results in a better document.  However, the
> SPARQL document is long and complex so I'm not completely sure of the lack of
> negative consequences, thus I prefer the smaller change because I see only a
> tiny added benefit from making the larger change.

if to add that entry to the 18.2 table column were to introduce some contradiction into the recommendation, when a literal reading of the algebra indicates that form should be a permitted argument, then there is more to be repaired in the text than a single note can rectify.

if that table is taken as the basis for a literal reading, the most direct correction would be to accept the text at 17.4.1.4 as is, with the understanding the the reader will not take it to be a literal specification and change the definition for exists in 18.6 to permit a “solution modifier”.

best regards, from berlin,
---
james anderson | james@dydra.com | http://dydra.com