Re: [SPARQL-Update] WITH, GRAPH, and USING [NAMED]

On 05/08/16 09:05, Pavel Klinov wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 11:04 PM, Pavel Klinov <pavel@complexible.com
> <mailto:pavel@complexible.com>> wrote:
>

>     According to my, perhaps incorrect, reading of 3.1.3 this should be
>     equivalent to:
>
>     DELETE
>     {
>       GRAPH <http://example.org/g1> { ?s ?p ?o }
>     }
>     USING <http://example.org/g2> WHERE
>     {
>       GRAPH <http://example.org/g1> { :a foaf:knows ?s . ?s ?p ?o }
>     }
>
>     that is, WITH is ignored for DELETE because there's the explicit
>     GRAPH clause but applies to WHERE because there's no USING [NAMED].
>     Then this query should not delete any triples because the dataset
>     for WHERE is composed of the empty default graph and :g2 as the only
>     named graph, while WHERE matches triples in :g2.
>

> A correction here: the dataset for WHERE should be :g2 as the default
> graph and no named graphs (or unspecified named graphs, as per 13.2 in
> [3]). But the rest of the email holds, the query can still return no
> results contarry to the test.

Hi Pavel,
(not an official reply)

I believe the intent is that WITH sets the default graph but otherwise
the named graph are in the dataset visible.

Unlike USING, WITH is not describing the whole dataset to use.  Is there
text that suggested to it did? Or entangles WITH and USING? If so, an
errata would be in order.

The later text:
[[
If a graph name is specified in a WITH clause, then - for the purposes
of evaluating the WHERE clause - this will define an RDF Dataset
containing a default graph with the specified name
]]

look to me to be at odds with:

[[
The WITH clause defines the graph that will be modified or matched
against for any of the subsequent elements (in DELETE, INSERT, or WHERE
clauses) if they do not specify a graph explicitly.
]]

[[
That is, a WITH clause may be viewed as syntactic sugar for wrapping
both the QuadPatterns in subsequent DELETE and INSERT clauses, and
likewise the GroupGraphPattern in the subsequent WHERE clause into GRAPH
patterns.
]]

which both suggest your example of:

 >     {